Over 20,000 fires are caused by electrical faults each year in UK homes. While our electrical safety check will assure the periodic safety of your electrical system, the biggest cause of electrical fires in homes is faulty appliances.
This simple advice will help keep you and your family safe:
- Switch off appliances when not in use and remove plugs from their sockets, especially when you go to bed.
- Don’t let leads from kettles, toasters or other appliances trail across your cooker.
- Never trail flexible cables from appliances under your carpet or rugs.
- If you see burn marks or notice sockets feel hot, let us know.
- Check cables before using an appliance. If you notice wear and tear, or the plug isn’t securely fastened, don’t use it.
- Never overload electrical adaptors by plugging too many appliances into one socket.
- Use plugs that conform to British Standard 1363 or 1363A. Make sure that they are fitted properly and are fitted with the correct fuse.
- Clocks, radios, table lamps and black and white televisions require 3 amp fuses.
- Don’t use a bulb with a higher wattage than stated on your light fitting.
- Colour televisions, electric drills, food mixer, hair dryer, iron and vacuum cleaners require 5 amp fuses.
- Electric fires, kettles, toasters, and washing machines require 13 amp fuses 5 never run an electrical appliance from a light fitting.
- Always seek professional advice regarding electrical appliances.
- Test your smoke alarm regularly.